UK

kmfm’s Tonnes of Tins 2025 sets new record with 11.1 tonnes

kmfm’s annual Tonnes of Tins campaign has broken records this year, collecting 11.1 tonnes of food for 16 food banks across Kent.

Over a five-week period, the appeal raised £11,696 through its JustGiving page, surpassing last year’s total of £7,348.
Physical donations that were dropped off at kmfm studios also played a major role, helping exceed 2024’s previous record of 9.21 tonnes.
The station says the support comes at a time of sharply rising demand for food banks. Usage in Deal has risen by 250%, while Swale has seen a 230% increase. Even more affluent parts of the county have reported a growing need for help, despite a drop in food donations overall.
“The generosity of our listeners, local businesses, and supporters has been incredible,” kmfm said in a statement, noting that every tin and every pound donated has made a tangible difference for families and individuals struggling with the cost of living.
Tonnes of Tins has become a major part of kmfm’s annual community outreach, combining on-air promotion with listener engagement to provide support for those most in need.

#mc_embed_signup{background:#fff; false;clear:left; font:14px Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; width: 600px;}
/* Add your own Mailchimp form style overrides in your site stylesheet or in this style block.
We recommend moving this block and the preceding CSS link to the HEAD of your HTML file. */ […]

UK

New station for Barnsley to launch at Civic Garden Gathering

Barnsley’s Essentials, will launch its full service on 7th September during the town’s Civic Garden Gathering in Mandela Gardens.

The new station will broadcast live from the event which will mark the 80th anniversary of VE/VJ Day and feature live music, street theatre, creative workshops, and family activities.
Gareth Webb, Barnsley Civic’s Marketing Officer and Project Lead for Barnsley’s Essentials, said: “The Barnsley community has been incredible in its support for Barnsley’s Essentials so far… now feels like the perfect moment to officially launch the station.
“Our aim is to give back to the town, strengthen community ties, and ensure local voices are heard loud and clear.”
The station will operate on a not-for-profit basis, with surplus funds donated to local causes including Barnsley Civic, Barnsley Food Bank, and Cross the Sky Theatre. Its test stream is currently on-air, with more local programmes being added in the coming weeks.

#mc_embed_signup{background:#fff; false;clear:left; font:14px Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; width: 600px;}
/* Add your own Mailchimp form style overrides in your site stylesheet or in this style block.
We recommend moving this block and the preceding CSS link to the HEAD of your HTML file. */ […]

US

Station Sales Week Of 8/15

Robert & Pamela Connell’s Freedom Broadcasting Inc. acquires Classic Hits “Cool” 99.1 KRZS Pangburn/106.5 K293CE Searcy, Country 99.9 KWCK-FM/1300 KSMD Searcy, Classic Country “100.7 Cowboy Country” KEAZ Kensett, and Country “The Bull” 105.7 KBGB Magness and 1370 KAWW Heber Springs/96.3 K242AZ Searcy AR from Crain Media Group for $3.5 million. Freedom, which also owns Standards “Timeless 106.1” KFFB Fairfield Bay, has been operating the cluster via LMA since May 2023. The company also operates George Flinn’s Classic Hits “Cool 104.7” KFLI Des Arc AR via LMA. […]

Ireland

John Giles to retire from punditry after 23 years on Off The Ball

John Giles is stepping down from punditry after more than two decades on Off The Ball.
The Republic of Ireland football legend, now 84, has been a fixture on Thursday nights since the programme launched in 2002, making him the longest-serving current pundit in Irish media. His departure also ends almost 30 years with Bauer Media Audio Ireland.
Off The Ball marked the occasion with a special tribute night at Dublin’s Sugar Club, attended by John’s wife Anne, his children Joanna, Catherine, Chris and Paul, as well as Brian Kerr, Eddie Gray and Joe Jordan. The evening featured stories from his playing and broadcasting career.

Ger Gilroy, Managing Director of Off The Ball, said John’s contribution had been “a titan of Irish sport” and that his “weekly explanation of football truth… helped deepen what the country knows about football”.
John’s football career began in 1956 when he joined Manchester United at the age of 15. He went on to win two league titles with Leeds United, earned 59 caps for the Republic of Ireland, and served as player-manager for six years.
After retiring from playing, John became a familiar face as a senior pundit on RTÉ television before joining Off The Ball in 2002. His detailed analysis and forthright opinions have made him one of the most influential voices in Irish football.
John’s career in football and broadcasting spans nearly 70 years, and he leaves the microphone with a reputation for combining deep tactical insight with a clear love for the game. […]